50 signatures reached
To: Local Governments in Contra Costa County, California
Divest CCC from Fossil Fuels!
The 19 cities and county of Contra Costa County California, should immediately freeze any new investments in fossil fuels, and divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuel public equities and corporate bonds within 5 years.
Local Governments should instead reinvest in alternative energy like solar energy.
In addition, we encourage cities to sign a resolution encouraging the state of california CAL PERS program to to freeze any new investments in fossil fuels, and divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuels
Why is this important?
Federal inaction to solve this crisis is all but stalled. Cities have enormous untapped assets and political strength that can be organized for a better future investment. Local Actions Move the World
• Earth's average temperature has risen by 1.4°F in the past 100 years The decade from 2000 to 2010 was the warmest on record Recent estimates say global sea level could rise more than 3 meters .
• Higher heat means impacts and health risks to our vulnerable communities
• Bigger storms means more stress on already aging infrastructure
• Local Government leaders serve to oversee and manage the public good. Cities have a responsibility to divest from an industry that’s having a negative impact on our future, and reinvest in solutions.
• Extreme weather events like Hurricane Sandy threaten to overwhelm local budgets
• Heat Related deaths impact our local emergency services.
• Rising tides and flooding impact and already failing local government infrastructure.
• The cost of local government Insurance premiums continue to rise pending the impacts cities are feeling from a changing climate
As of May 2013, more than 100 U.S. cities have signed a resolution to divest
Will your City join the team?I visit gofossilfree.org to get started