100 signatures reached
To: Craig Mahoney, Principal of the University of the West of Scotland
Divest UWS From Fossil Fuels
We want the University of the West of Scotland to follow the successful example of the University of Glasgow, who have recently achieved a divestment policy. We want UWS to do this by...
1. Move their money
- screen for and exclude the fossil fuel industry from their investment portfolio
- immediately freeze any new investment in fossil fuel companies
- divest from the fossil fuel industry and shift funds to lower risk, ethical investments within 5 years
2. Stop the greenwash
- publish full details of their financial and other ties to the fossil fuel industry
- stop accepting sponsorship and advertising from fossil fuel companies
3. Support a clean energy future for all
- provide students with ethical careers advice and opportunities
- refocus research & expertise on climate solutions and phase out climate-damaging fossil fuel research
- demand more research funding for renewables from fossil fuel companies and government
Why is this important?
The University of the West of Scotland has over £1 million worth of investments. Numerous companies that the University invests in, including Shell have been accused of human rights abuses.
For more information about our campaign and to get involved, please visit: